Adult Lessons and Classes
Annapolis is known for many things, including its vibrant music scene and support for the Arts. Adults are a HUGE part of this artistic community, and Naptown Sings and Plays is a part of that! Whether you are a seasoned performer looking to develop your musicianship/theory knowledge, a Symphony musician wanting to explore more commercial/jazz styles, a drummer or producer with a desire to learn to sing/play piano, or a community musical theatre vocalist needing some vocal direction regarding repertoire choice/development, audition prep, range development, etc. Naptown Sings and Plays! has a teacher who can get you there. Currently, we offer lessons for adults busy schedules; daytime, afternoon, evening or weekend. This is a Community of continued learning. In addition to private lessons, we offer group class options in musicianship, vocal jazz, and musical theatre/acting for adults by request. All of our teachers, whom are masters in their fields, specialize in teaching adults as well as children.
Click on over to our Private Lessons page to request lessons or to express interest in forming a group class.
Young Women’s A Cappella
Not your average singing group!
Change wording in first sentence to to (this includes a fixed apostrophe in Women’s): Open to soprano and alto singers ranging from high school, college and beyond, the YWAC (Young Women’s A Capella) is for young adult vocalists looking for a well-rounded approach to learning how to sing and harmonize through a cappella arrangements–from pop to jazz to musical theatre, all styles/varying levels of difficulty–along with vocal technique, music reading, leadership opportunities, performance and more. This is not your typical ‘listen to this track and come in prepared to sing it with others’ type of a cappella/choir experience; singers learn parts as a group AND put it together in each rehearsal. These singers will be developing life-long learning and leadership skills, in addition to the musicianship and personal development. We know that this kind of growth comes from regular, weekly commitment, and this class is year-round, with various types of performance opportunities throughout the year. What’s more: singers will be placed with other passionate singers like themselves, serious about the musicianship skills that will get them where they want to be as independent learners. The sky is the limit! Interested? Email us for more info and audition requirements.
- Teacher Name: Jessica Destin
- Ages: High School – Beyond College
- Class Day and Time: Thursdays from 6:30 – 8:00 PM
- Cost: $150/mo
- 4 classes per month.
- Each class will include warm-ups, music-reading, ear-training, vocal technique, etc.
- Students will learn parts together, and learn the craft with the intent to become an independent music learner and reader.
- One class per month will be ‘open’, used for team-building, planning recitals, overall performance focus (from fine-tuning to adding dance moves), gig research/prep, designing new themes, etc.
- Performance opportunities within the community (casual, formal, independently booked by students!)
- Community outreach, mentorship opportunities, learning and growth for young women, in both business and music.
- A capella is a sisterhood. See what it’s all about!
- All sheet music provided.
- Range testing/tone analysis
- Sing 2 songs a cappella, as chosen by us, different styles
- Learn 1 or more parts in the audition and harmonize with others in your time slot
- “Over the Rainbow” (standard, no intro, just the full refrain) OR “My One and Only Love” (stard, full song)
- “Count on Me,” Bruno Mars OR “I Choose You,” Sara Bareilles (from beginning through first chorus)
*Please sing these a cappela, in your chose key.*
Audition Dates and Times:
Thursday, March 12th: 6:30 – 8pm
Sunday, March 15th: 1pm – 4pm
Sunday, March 22nd, 1pm – 4pm
Thursday, March 26th, 6:30 – 8pm